Do you need permission to use iGrafx copyrighted material?
Information on the use of:
Information on using text from:
Information on the following subjects:
How to submit a request for permission to use iGrafx copyrighted material.
What is iGrafx's Policy on making my own copyrighted materials available through any of iGrafx applications and websites?
Information on the uploading, posting or transmission of content through any application or website offered by iGrafx.
Information on iGrafx's End User Copyright and Other Intellectual Property Policy.
When is Permission Required?
Without obtaining written permission, you may be allowed to use certain images, software or text for advertising, in books and other printed matter, on clothing or other promotional items, online and Internet locations, for public exhibitions or demonstrations, in software applications, in television programs, commercials, movies, and/or video tapes; provided the use is not disparaging. The use must fall within the definition of "fair dealing" or "fair use" as defined under U.S. and other applicable International copyright law. No use should mislead the public as to iGrafx sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your products or services.
NOTE: Please read the End User License Agreement (EULA) and other product documentation which accompanies each copy of iGrafx software to determine what rights are granted to a licensed user of iGrafx product. In addition you should consult with your own copyright attorney in determining whether your intended use constitutes "fair dealing" or "fair use", as applicable.
Use of Images
iGrafx does not object to third-party use of box shots of our software products in advertising, on documentation, in books and other printed matter, on video tape, in software applications, on World Wide Web pages or in television programs/commercials/movies ("Your Product"), so long as the use is not disparaging and falls within the definition of "fair dealing" or "fair use" under U.S and other International copyright law, as applicable. Provided you adhere to the following guidelines, no further written permission is required:
1. You may not disparage iGrafx or any of its products in your use of iGrafx product box shots.
2. You should not use our product(s), product name(s), corporate name, box shots or other copyrighted material in a way that would indicate iGrafx sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of Your Product.
3. The iGrafx product box shot(s) must not be the most prominent visual element. Your Product, company name, logos or graphics should be significantly larger than the size of the iGrafx product box shot.
4. You should use only iGrafx approved box shots, including the entire product packaging. You may NOT use portions of the graphics, artwork or trade dress from the packaging, nor may you alter the box shots in any way except to resize to fit your needs.
5. The copyright attribution should state: "Box shot(s) reprinted with permission from iGrafx, LLC."
6. If any iGrafx product(s) is mentioned, the full name of the iGrafx product(s) should be used at first and most prominent mention or as soon as practicable thereafter, and the iGrafx trademark(s) should be marked as they appear on the iGrafx product packaging. A footnote attributing trademark ownership to iGrafx should be used.
All other use of box shots of iGrafx products requires written permission. Please submit your request in writing with samples, drawings or mock ups of the box shots showing how you wish to use them. Please follow the instructions on How to Request Permission.
Please Note: There are certain screen shots to which the following guidelines do not apply. If you wish to use any of the following types of screen shots, you must obtain written permission.
- iGrafx Product boot-up screens, opening screens or "splash screens"
- Screens from beta products or products that have not been commercially released
- Screens or Internet pages which contain third-party content. You should contact the content provider directly for permission
iGrafx does not object to third-party use of screen shots of our software products in advertising, on product packaging and documentation, in books and other printed matter, on video tape, in tutorial software applications, on World Wide Web pages or in television programs, commercials, movies ("Your Product"), so long as the use is not disparaging and falls within the definition of "fair dealing" or "fair use" under U.S. or other applicable International copyright law.
Provided you adhere to the following guidelines, no further written permission is required.
- For all use of screen shots, rules No.1 to 4 apply
- If your use of screen shots in Your Product is as part of a printed advertisement, book, product packaging or other printed material or as part of an Internet/World Wide Web Page, rules No.1 to 7 apply
- If Your Product is a video, rules No. 1 to 8 apply
- If Your Product is a software application, rules No. 1 to 10 apply
- If Your Product is a television, motion picture or advertisement (i.e., commercial) production ("Production"), rules No. 1 to 4 and rules No. 11 to 13 apply.
1. You may not disparage iGrafx or any of its products in your use of iGrafx product screen shots.
2. You may not use our product(s), product name(s), corporate name, screen shots or other copyrighted material in a way that would indicate iGrafx sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of Your Product.
3. You may not alter the screen image and/or title bars, drop down lists, dialogue boxes or icons in any way, provided that you may resize the screen shot to fit your needs.
4. Screen shots from our products must not be the most prominent visual element in Your Product.
5. If any iGrafx product(s) is mentioned, the full name of the iGrafx product(s) should be used at first and most prominent mention or as soon as practicable thereafter, and the trademark(s) should be marked as they appear on the iGrafx product packaging.
6. A footnote attributing trademark ownership to iGrafx should be used. See Guidelines for Using iGrafx Trademarks.
7. Your Product must contain the following copyright attribution: "Screen shot(s) are [INSERT COPYRIGHT STATEMENT APPEARING ON THE IGRAFX PRODUCT PACKAGING (e.g. (c) Copyright 2009 iGrafx, LLC)], reprinted by permission."
8. Trademark and copyright attribution must be in the form of a screen dedicated to same and/or a label on each product.
9. Your Product will provide audio and/or visual instructions to overlay the screen shots of the iGrafx product(s) at a minimum of every five screen shots of the iGrafx product(s) so that there is no likelihood of confusion as the distinctness of the iGrafx product and Your Product.
10. Your Product will not allow actual access to the iGrafx product, unless the end user of Your Product has a valid license to the iGrafx product, and there is no likelihood of confusion as to the distinctiveness of the iGrafx product and Your Product.
11. Any prominent use of screen shot(s) captured in still photos (which might be used in advertising your Production, for example) must include copyright and trademark attribution stating the full name of the iGrafx product(s), with our trademarks noted as they appear on our product(s), as in the following example: "Screen shot(s) from [INSERT IGRAFX PRODUCT NAME] are [INSERT COPYRIGHT STATEMENT APPEARING ON THE IGRAFX PRODUCT PACKAGING (e.g. (c) Copyright 2011 iGrafx, LLC)], reprinted by permission."
12. If applicable, any printed use of our trademarks during the filming of the Production shall include the full name of the iGrafx product(s), and our trademarks should be referenced as on the iGrafx product(s).
13. If any prominent references to iGrafx, iGrafx products or trademarks occur in your Production, please submit a written request providing script samples and other relevant information.
All other use of screen shots of iGrafx products requires written permission. Please submit your request in writing with samples of the screen shots showing how you wish to use them, and following the instructions on How to Request Permission.
iGrafx permits you to use its logos in both plain word and stylized form for the purpose of promoting and advertising iGrafx products or services, provided you accept, comply with and execute iGrafx's Guidelines for using iGrafx Logos and Trademarks (PDF, 30 KB, 1). Please indicate your acceptance to such guidelines by sending a signed copy of iGrafx's Guidelines for using iGrafx Logos and Trademarks. You are not permitted to use any iGrafx logos until iGrafx has received a duly executed copy of this document.
Unless you are licensed by iGrafx, use of iGrafx logos is not allowed. If there is a specific iGrafx logo you are interested in using, please contact the iGrafx Permissions Department. If you have not yet been licensed, you may be eligible to use a box shot of an iGrafx product instead. Or, you may choose to simply refer to an iGrafx product as described in the Referential Use section of this Web site.
iGrafx does not object to third-party use of our icons ("Icons"), so long as the use is not disparaging and falls within the "fair dealing" or "fair use" under U.S. or other applicable International copyright laws. Providing that you adhere to the following guidelines, no further written permission is required.
- The Icons may only be used in relation to iGrafx products or services. This means that you may not display the Icons on any non-iGrafx product or service including any associated packaging, documentation, advertising or other materials in a manner that suggests that such product or service is a iGrafx product or service, that iGrafx or any of the Icons are associated with such product or service or that iGrafx is affiliated with, endorses or sponsors you or any of such products or services.
- When displayed, the Icons must be substantially less prominent than your trademark, trade name, logo or product name. The Icons may not be used as, or as part of, a company name.
- A minimum amount of empty space must be left between the Icons and any other object such as type, photography, borders, edges, etc. The required border of empty space around the Icons must be x wide where x is the height of the Mark.
- You may not combine the Icons with any other feature including, but not limited to, other logos, words, graphics, photos, slogans, numbers, design features, or symbols. Further, you may not display your own logos or Icons or other text or graphics in the same or similar get-up, graphics, look, or trade-dress as the Icons.
- The Icons must not be used in a manner that, in iGrafx’s judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage iGrafx's goodwill in the Icons, including but not limited to uses which could be deemed to be obscene, pornographic, or otherwise in poor taste or unlawful, or which purpose or objective is to encourage unlawful activities.
- You must place an asterisk (*) or similar notation mark beside the first use of a Mark and include the following attribution statement on the materials in which the Icons are featured.
" * Trademark(s) of iGrafx, LLC"
This permission may be revoked at any time, in iGrafx's sole discretion. Use of the Icons does not create in your favor any right, title, or interest in or to the Icons and/or iGrafx's trademarks or copyright.
Use of Text
If you wish to copy, redistribute or reprint an iGrafx product manual, you must submit your request to the Permissions Department.
You should not assume that all articles, documents, manuals, help files, white papers or other documents that are contained in www.igrafx.com Web pages are owned by iGrafx. iGrafx is not the copyright owner of everything that is posted on our Web site. Therefore, you must first determine whether or not iGrafx is identified as the copyright owner. If another party is identified as the copyright owner, please contact them directly for permission to use the documentation. If there is no copyright attribution, or if iGrafx is identified as the copyright owner, please submit your request to the Permissions Department.
Certain use of text from www.igrafx.com Web pages may not require written permission as the use may be similar to making use of screen shots. Please see the Screen Shot Guidelines to determine whether your use of Web pages is covered under these guidelines.
Use of Software
Although certain iGrafx software products are available for trial via www.igrafx.com, iGrafx, as copyright owner, retains its intellectual property rights to said technology. The software files that are posted on www.igrafx.com and referred to as freely downloadable may be used by you without payment to iGrafx; however, unless expressly stated otherwise, they are not free for you to redistribute. You may not redistribute any copyrighted materials without such redistribution being specifically authorized under the accompanying license agreement. Please read the accompanying end user license agreement accompanying the software to determine your redistribution rights. Any questions or subsequent permission requests must be submitted pursuant to the instructions on How to Request Permission.
Donations of Product
If you wish to donate iGrafx software products, software licenses or hardware on which iGrafx software is installed to another party, please see License Transfer, below.
You may donate or transfer iGrafx software product, software licenses or hardware loaded with iGrafx software to another party provided you comply with the terms and conditions of the end user license agreement (EULA) which governs your use of the applicable iGrafx product*. All transfers of license, either through a sales transaction or by way of gift or donation, must include all product documentation, product manuals, original disks and licenses. Further conditions of transfer may be included in the EULA. The individual or entity transferring the software product and license should understand that they are giving up all of their rights to the transferred software, including all rights to upgraded versions of the software.
* PLEASE NOTE: Unless otherwise indicated in the EULA, academic versions of iGrafx Product are non-transferable.
What is iGrafx's Policy on making my own copyrighted materials available through any of iGrafx applications and websites?
By making any content available through any of iGrafx's applications or websites, you represent and warrant that you own all rights necessary to properly do so. Please see our End User Copyright and Other Intellectual Property Policy page.
How do I report an alleged infringement of my own copyrighted work?
If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or that your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please see our End User Copyright and Other Intellectual Property Policy page.